Jasmin Seitzer - Personalized training for you and your horse
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Recent Posts

The gymnastics saga continues!
Step two gymnastics for the green/unconfident horse
Gymnastics to increase your horse's confidence and co-ordination (or to teach him to jump from square one)
One month with Mo
We moved to Florida!!!

Categories

Horse care
Lessons
Stories
Training
powered by

My Blog

Ground manners part 2

So I touched on the basics of manners and respect in leading and grooming. These are the most important building blocks to training a horse. If they are overlooked, certain holes in the horse's later training will appear, and will be harder to deal with.

Lets talk a bit about respect. Respect is an understanding by the horse that you are in charge, and great things can come from you, but also that you have rules and boundaries that need to be obeyed before there can be affection and praise for a job well done. Every owner should decide what level of respect they want, but there are some basics I think everyone agrees on. The horse should respect your space and not: kick, bite or step on you, whether on purpose or accident. The horse should pay attention to you and your requests and he should generally look for reward and approval from you.

There are some gray areas that vary person to person, and you should determine the level you are okay with and realize the horse will most likely test you every once in a while and take it a step further than you like. You must be willing to stick to your own rules and keep him within the boundaries you set. Some examples of the debatable behaviors: asking/begging for treats or attention when he could be patiently standing still, looking at other things rather than where he is going when you are riding or leading, pulling the lead rope/reins out of your hands, and moving after having been asked not to move.

My personal guidelines are that he should remain doing whatever I have asked him to do until I ask him to do other wise. That is... If I say stand still, you should stand still until I ask you to go. If I ask you to go, you should go until I ask you to do something else. Very simple. I also hold the belief that since they can make mistakes, I allow one mistake before reprimand. That means on the horse's bad day he may make the same mistake twice, as a way of pushing the boundaries. I have accepted that and will correct it. The important part here is not that he is PUNISHED,  but that he is corrected and shown what is the right choice to make.

If the horse can understand your body language and you can clearly communicate with him for leading -forward, turn, stop, back- and he can accept your touch all over for grooming and you can move his body away from you if needed, you are probably ready for lunging. If you have not done your "Homework" as described, lunging is going to be a very, very difficult and possibly damaging process.

10 Comments to Ground manners part 2:

Comments RSS
edusson on Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:31 PM
Teachers are very important to learn thing so is the case with music . People listen to sad music when they are alone by and broke. sad music tends to engage a person in a very deep thoughs and feelings. Sad music is a good meditation.
Reply to comment

australianwritings.com review on Sunday, May 27, 2018 3:25 PM
Well, it is tough training but not impossible. I remember in childhood we used to go to our grandparent's farmhouse and we did horse riding with our grandfather. He has wonderful commands on his horses.
Reply to comment

how to get free robux without human verification on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 1:59 AM
thank you subsribeing this website.
Reply to comment

Stethoscope on Friday, August 17, 2018 6:48 AM
I've been in groups of many critics. They were all good. But this is a special one it really stands in my mind ... like a shiny vampire (I mean that's really a good way) Best Stethoscope Online
Reply to comment

George C. Winkler on Wednesday, August 07, 2019 6:12 AM
Running a successful business is all about using the extreme potential of all the resources that you have at your disposal. Now, this can only happen if the members in a company work together and are in perfect harmony when it comes to agreeing on something important and big Click Here To Know More.
Reply to comment

keto diet plan on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:34 AM
There are several reasons why a ketogenic diet is superior to a low-fat diet, including an increased protein intake that offers many benefits
Reply to comment

Rambo jacket on Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:52 AM
Thank you for such a nice article. I am definitely going to share this article with my friends.
Reply to comment

Tom Cruise Maverick Leather Jacket on Friday, August 23, 2019 2:24 AM
This is a very good tip especially to those new to the biosphere. Short but very accurate information… Many thanks for sharing this one. A must read the post!
Reply to comment

Rick Dalton Brown Jacket on Friday, August 23, 2019 6:05 AM
Very useful and valuable details you shared, thanks for the important blog post. It helped me a lot. nice post very informational. Keep blogging.
Reply to comment

bing weekly quiz on Monday, September 09, 2019 2:31 AM
Thank you for sharing this valuable information
Reply to comment