Jasmin Seitzer - Personalized training for you and your horse
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Recent Posts

The gymnastics saga continues!
Step two gymnastics for the green/unconfident horse
Gymnastics to increase your horse's confidence and co-ordination (or to teach him to jump from square one)
One month with Mo
We moved to Florida!!!

Categories

Horse care
Lessons
Stories
Training
powered by

My Blog

Raising the bar

It has been a while since I have written a blog entry. For up-to-date news and events, check out my Facebook page!

I have been working with Epona on jumping. I believe that she enjoys it! Teaching a horse to jump is not as easy as you may think. First we build a foundation with trot poles, strengthening the horses back muscles. Then comes gymnastics work. Gymnastics are a very useful tool. Usually a gymnastic exercise (also referred to as a grid) includes a few different elements. When I set up a grid, I usually include trot poles at the beginning and at least two jumps. There are endless ways to vary a gymnastic exercise.

Most beneficial is that you (at first) set the jumps so that they come naturally in the horse's comfortable stride. This lets the horse relax and not worry about *when* to takeoff. Also, generally speaking, this allows the rider to work on their position, or practice a better release... or even try riding with no hands! (please don't try this without a professional)

Well, because of the good "homework" I have done with Epona, she has a huge amount of confidence and has worked up to be able to jump consistently in the range of 3'3" jumps (including oxers)

Here is a little pic of us popping over a 3'3" oxer last night.  I had to improvise with equipment as we have surpassed the top hole on the front standards.

Epona has come quite a long way from the ball of nerves who would flinch if you even looked at her in the paddock. She now trail rides, has been to schooling shows, trailers great, body clips, stands for the vet and farrier, and even has taken an amateur rider over jumps!

Stay tuned for more updates - our next schooling show is July 26th!

7 Comments to Raising the bar:

Comments RSS
dfhf on Saturday, October 28, 2017 6:17 AM
dfg
Reply to comment

essay guard service on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:57 PM
Raising the bar strengthening the horses back muscles and foundation the more gymnastic exercise. Thanks for updating and giving us about allows the rider to work on their position and confidence and has worked up.
Reply to comment

chudds on Friday, January 05, 2018 9:24 AM
Making the better and essay services for the great college methods and educational methods always,keep it up. I am getting the more look at this site and better looking the essay services for the paper concepts methods as well.
Reply to comment

drama wiki on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 10:10 PM
.I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics, i will be always checking your blog thanks
Reply to comment

ryanjackson on Friday, April 05, 2019 2:59 AM
Raising the bar is very interesting post you share. I am so glad to visit this website and to get an amazing information about the gymnastic. Thanks for sharing this all. Keep sharing. http://epdmrubberroofingco.co.uk/
Reply to comment

Dwayne on Friday, April 12, 2019 6:28 AM
Wonderful post.I have read your post and visited your face book page and really happy to read this post.Thanks and carry on it. rubber roofing
Reply to comment