Jasmin Seitzer - Personalized training for you and your horse
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Recent Posts

The gymnastics saga continues!
Step two gymnastics for the green/unconfident horse
Gymnastics to increase your horse's confidence and co-ordination (or to teach him to jump from square one)
One month with Mo
We moved to Florida!!!

Categories

Horse care
Lessons
Stories
Training
powered by

My Blog

Don't forget to keep yourself and your horse happy!

Horseback riding is a tough sport. It takes a lot of work, sweat, dedication, and commitment. Many people spend hours and hours in the saddle practicing keeping a posting trot rythym, holding two point for laps and laps and laps, and perfecting "inside leg to outside rein". We want the best for our horses. We feed high quality grain, try to give the best hay available, and continually buy new tack, expensive treats, and not to mention riding apparel for ourselves.

But all the dollars and time spent means nothing if you and your horse aren't working towards better communication.

You must remember that the horse is a herd animal. They build and maintain relationships with other horses by eating together, playing together, and resting together.

Some simple ways to spend time with your horse that will build trust and communication - these can be done before riding as a mini-warmup, or after you're done, when you're cooling out the horse, or waiting for your ride to come!!

- Graze your horse where he doesn't normally get to graze
- Go for a nice handwalk with your horse (Bonus - this doubles as a training exercise in the spring before venturing out for the first trail ride of the year
- Spend an extra 10 minutes currying your horse, or give her a nice back massage! Use the heels of your hands rather than the points of your fingers
- If your horse is in a herd, you can do belly lifts and carrot stretches while he is eating with the herd (as long as the other horses are safe to work around)
- Teach her a new trick! Be careful, as tricks can be dangerous if your horse attempts them when you aren't paying attention. I suggest sticking to tricks like shaking their head yes/no, picking up something off the ground like a riding crop, or lifting a foot on command for hoof cleaning.

No matter how your ride goes, he is still your good horse. He works hard for you, and you should treat him (or her) with the love and respect she (or he) deserves!

Show your horse you care! :)

10 Comments to Don't forget to keep yourself and your horse happy!:

Comments RSS
Dwayne Sammy on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 4:51 AM
What a nice blog.Don't forget to keep yourself and your horse happy is very good topic and give us good information. Thank you very much for it.gym mats is very useful product
Reply to comment

assignment onlinehelp on Friday, February 16, 2018 2:26 AM
The working experience and expensive treats I ever seen here,keep making and generating about dedication and commitments. Using heelsdowneyesup blog for normal venturing paying the great attention.
Reply to comment

the academic papers on Monday, July 09, 2018 11:58 PM
Nice post and Horseback riding fills your veins with that extra dose of adrenalin you crave for! Pump up some more with exhilarating rides over the finest stallions bred phd dissertation Writing Service
Reply to comment

Han on Friday, July 20, 2018 1:20 AM
Oh my gosh! My friend wants to have the same work experience thing too. I doubt you'll find one because it's hard to train a newcomer.
Reply to comment

download instagram stories on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 1:06 AM
What a good and informative post here.Today i have seen many useful post but not seen such type of post. Thanks and carry on it.
Reply to comment

the best resume writing service on Friday, December 14, 2018 7:36 PM
I won't fail. Just because I don't have a horse. I don't know when will I use these tips.
Reply to comment

hh on Monday, January 21, 2019 7:49 AM
hh
Reply to comment

cheap resume writing services on Tuesday, February 05, 2019 12:23 AM
Horseback riding is one of the sports that I really love to try. I can say that I am an adventurer and I love doing extreme things. It is like a matter of life and death situation. I not into sports, but I love trying them and horseback riding fits my taste. I travel to different places and I try mountain climbing and surfing. I will surely make this horseback riding in my bucket list and I want my boyfriend to try it also.
Reply to comment

learninghappenshere on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 7:04 AM
Yep, an individual’s interest towards the horse riding is not fruitful for him if he is not taking good care of his horse. Horses should be properly cared.
Reply to comment

instagram online on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:22 PM
Thank you for sharing the post! I hope to hear more updates from you.
Reply to comment