Jasmin Seitzer - Personalized training for you and your horse
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Recent Posts

The gymnastics saga continues!
Step two gymnastics for the green/unconfident horse
Gymnastics to increase your horse's confidence and co-ordination (or to teach him to jump from square one)
One month with Mo
We moved to Florida!!!

Categories

Horse care
Lessons
Stories
Training
powered by

My Blog

Why do you keep saying "Right Rein" when I'm turning left???

We need to talk.

Riding a horse involves coordination, balance, strength and patience. As you progress, you work towards higher goals and raise your expectations of you and your horse. suddenly, you can feel your horse making decisions, changing balance, speed and focus, and you never noticed these things before. One of the biggest transitional changes if the use of the outside rein.

In beginning riding lessons, we learn to look left and open the left rein to turn left. Simple, right? As you progress, you work towards riding the horse underneath you instead of just pointing the horse's nose where they need to go.

It's about the whole horse

One you have mastered cantering and some small jumps, its time to re-evaluate how the horse moves. In order to carry a rider, a horse needs to have balance. We can assist their balance by driving them into a turn rather than pulling them into a turn. We begin to learn to use the outside aids. First you apply an outside leg pressure, to encourage and push them, drive them, where you want to go. For some horses that is all that is needed. Most lesson horses, however, have learned to "tune out" some commands, in case it was a mistake on the novice rider's part. For horses that have "tuned out" the outside leg, they need an additional aid. We see these extra-wide turns and call this "bulging out"

A horse that bulges isn't naughty, simply unbalanced and not focused and directed

To prevent bulging out, use an outside, bearing rein. Often in a bulging horse, we see the rider's outside hand shift forward, similar to a small turn made while riding a bicycle. This really encourages bulging... when you release a rein aid, the energy and forward motion can only escape in that direction. We don't want the horse's energy to escape out towards their outside front leg. This would mean an imbalance. Instead we need to capture that energy. Sit up, drive the horse forward and collect the energy with an outside bearing rein, which is pressure straight back towards your outside hip. This creates a wall of pressure on the outside of their body, connecting the driving outside leg with a collecting outside hand, so that the horse engages that entire side of their body.

20 Comments to Why do you keep saying "Right Rein" when I'm turning left???:

Comments RSS
bestesays on Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:44 AM
Why do you keep saying right rein when I am turning left?your horse making decisions changing balance. Thanks for sharing apply an heelsdowneyesup outside leg pressure to encourage and push them drive them.

uk assignment writing on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:49 PM
Riding a horse is one of the many activities that I got to experience this year. For ten years straight, I have continued to work non stop, that is why, I decided to go on a nice trip. I plan a four month vacation where I get to travel where ever I want. Recently, I have been to amazing countries like Australia, and must I say, it was a great experience. They had a lot of amazing food and I really enjoyed riding a horse there.

glamourjackets on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 5:41 AM
It is really rare to encounter a specialist in whom you may have some confidence. Nowadays, nobody actually cares about showing others the solution in this matter. Take a look on this

d on Friday, December 21, 2018 5:19 AM
d

Jorge Andreson on Thursday, April 04, 2019 6:28 AM
I know that this post give me the great knowledge. I am really very thankful to you. You have done very well job. I thumbs up this post. You have done very well job. rubber matting

Buy industrial shelving racks on Friday, April 05, 2019 12:16 AM
Excellent post here i am happy to see this post. Content which you have share here is very valuable. I want appreciate your work. Carry on it.

Dwayne on Friday, April 05, 2019 12:38 AM
There are very important information shared in this post and i am really happy to see this post.Thanks and carry on it. We are the UK top supplier of rubber roofing

Ben Stoke on Friday, April 05, 2019 2:10 AM
The content which you have share here is wonderful and nice. I read whole article some points are really cool. Keep going on good work. Carry on it. shop roofing rubber from here

stuart on Sunday, April 07, 2019 10:30 AM
I really appreciate by this post. Thanks a lot for this very useful information inspirational messages

patrick on Sunday, April 07, 2019 11:51 PM
What a good post here. Your style of the presentation of the post is very good and very attractive for every visitor. thanks and carry on it https://www.clearpathortho.com/

pixel gun 3d hack on Thursday, May 02, 2019 7:15 AM
quite amazing post thanks a lot for sharing

Smith on Thursday, May 09, 2019 3:21 AM
All the posts of your blog is fantastic. The tips you have share here always very useful for me. I visit regularly your blog. Keep on it keep sharing invisible teeth braces

Herry on Thursday, May 09, 2019 4:07 AM
Great help dear and a fantastic post. Really like what you have posted .. i found it really useful and will utilize some of the tips here. Good share, thank you private yacht rental

Jordan on Friday, May 10, 2019 6:23 AM
I read this post and very good knowledge about masters dissertation writing services. Masters dissertation writing services is very helpful for me. bible study tools

Oprah on Sunday, May 19, 2019 7:35 AM
Nice blog. I like this blog too much because the style of the presentation of the post is very good and impressive. Thanks and carry on it home care services

net worth list on Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:33 AM
Good job. I clicked on hash tags on cafe, checkin and foursquare and came to know different attractive post here. Thanks for it. To buy rubber roofing click here

Bon on Saturday, July 27, 2019 1:30 PM
Blog is very much useful , love to see more stuff like this ,the author has share a great piece of knowledge. charter boat rental

funwirks.com on Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:32 PM
Thanks for picking out the time to discuss this, I feel great about it and love studying more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for such a valuable help again.

descendants 3 harry ve on Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:01 AM
I read your whole article very carefully and i found this as an interesting and informative article. Your article is written very nicely and the message is clear

cheap minibus coach hire on Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:43 AM
Connected by little trails, these gardens each have different characteristics, bursting with different sights throughout the gardens.cheap minibus coach hire liverpool to manchester minibus hire local minibus hire minibus hire cardiff thorpe park minibus hire minibus hire norwich